Tuesday, May 23, 2006

To be hjiabi or not be hijabi that is the question?


I was talking to NM a couple of days ago and I was read WA blog as well. And this seems to be the common theme so we'll roll with it.

Working in the FE sectors I see a lot of young sisters wearing the head scarf however the term Hijabi may not be what we would say they were. Now I am not sitting on judgement of anyone these are just thoughts that I have had.

Hijab I have been told means covering not a headscarf but its term that we use to describe a girl who wears a head scarf.

So if we go from there I think the blog will easier to understand.

When I was younger my mum sent me to a faith school (Islamic high) and as apart of my uniform I had to wear a headscarf but no one explained why I had to wear and for a long time I associated the headscarf as part of my uniform for school.

In our culture girls didn’t and some still won’t wear the headscarf until they are old or for some after they are married. Some will were the duppatta a see through material which is thrown over their shoulders. Some will have half their head showing.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about been covered I mean there are parent who will allow their daughters to wear the tightest shalwar kameez or shalwars ( the trousers)with splits up them which show a part of their leg or kameez( tops) which don’t have sleeves or completely see through or sarees that you can see people stomachs back and arms. However they wouldn’t be allowed to wear trousers or skirts or tops as they are not modest.

Ohhh Please !!!!!!

In my place of work I am the only hijabi. There are girls here that are hijabis but there are girls who wear the headscarf.

Now the conundrum starts here do I explain to the girls who wear the headscarf (not the hibjis) the right way of been a hijabi or leave it to them to discover it on their own.

I mean it took me about eight years to get where I am and I am still not perfect. And I remember at that age I thought I knew best jeez I was so confident I could have taken on the world and his dog.

Also the other conundrum is as a teacher you are not allowed to comment on personal things like clothing weight, b.o, etc.

So wot to do wot to do!!!

The other is the conduct of our younger sisters. I really hate summer in the college cos all you hear is the girls screeching because the boys are hitting them with water bombs. And they are giggling and screeching and encouraging them to come and fight. Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh

Even today I saw a young habji sister with a lad (and I am not been paranoid but they were attracted and were flirting with each other). Trust me anyone who was in the vicinity could see how badly they liked each other(vibes vibes). I am not saying that all didn’t have the same feelings at one time or another but most of us were very guarded and to tell you the truth I think we were nastier to the boys more than if we didn’t like them.

But again in guidance do I allow this to happen (and pray that they will not make the mistake of taking it any further) or do I say something and risk been reported to senior management for making personal comments?

There is an Islamic society this year and I would like to get involved however I feel I have been excluded on purpose and I don’t want to muscle in as they may feel that I am the teacher sent to spy on them.

Plus some of the girls (Jibabi girls) don’t half give me the looks up and down for not been up to their standard. It’s a very clicky and I personally think that some girls have been excluded as well cos they are not hijabi’s.

I have really wanted to start one but they weren’t allowed for various reasons and the year they allow it I am so bsy I didn’t have time to go to the bog never time track it down to VP Mosque.

So people wot do I do because I feel I am going to be answerable for this and all I can think I could say to God is I am sorry but I was in fear of losing my job.

I have just read this Blog of a young sister on wearing the Hijab and it made me smile. Peeps knock your self out reading
http://www.alternet.org/wiretap/20616/

Right i think i have rambled enough.

Salaam People

3 comments:

NM said...

Good God is this what i have to look forward to when i enter the educational establishment..hmmm

this is a difficult one bangles, all i can say is when i was a non-hijabi at school or when i wear it the bun style ( shudder to think about that face) i wouldn't have appreciated a teacher telling me other wise

But i guess as with all dawah it comes down to timeing and the wisdom of alternative styles..

I guess talking to fellow muslim teachers in similiar situations would probably help

it can't hurt if nothing else

P.S YAY your blogging again

Lady_K said...

Smile often and give salaams to all, when you see them. make yourself more approachable. if possible mention islamic events by MAB, YM, ISB etc

if they are doing any activities like talks, see if u can go along. at the end of the Day only Allah swt, knows whats in your heart and what u intend.

why the name bangles??
LW

NM said...

Shiuli literally means Golden Bangle in somali :)