Friday, February 23, 2007

2nd letter to Naima

Its been over a month now that you have been gone and to tell you the truth most of us haven't missed you in the slightest (joke).

I can’t believe shukri has popped over to Egypt for a week. But its good new for you as we piled Shukri with all the goodies me a muna could think off.

Life definetaly goes on things that have happened:

I ‘ave been adopted by muna cos she loves me ha ha ha.

The party was such a danceathon my feet were so sore it’s not a joke. Then when we got back home Jude and dizzy decided talk till the crack of dawn I could have killed them both.

The next day was the wedding and was that a manic rush I was incharge of the project which Scout twin had asked me to set up but when I got there I couldn’t get the screen to work then once I did that we couldn’t find an extension lead to plug in the projector.

The Teacher twin looked like a proper princess she was gorgeous. The setting was informal and you missed me looking Wooohooo he he he.

Sadia was there with Nadia, Sofia and Shabham it was nice seeing everyone together. Sadia wedding is only six weeks away. Arghhhhhh (I haven’t thought of a present yet). She is soo stressed poor little bunny.

The weather here keeps fluctuating between windy and clear. One minute it looks like it’s a nice summers day the next it looks like the storm of the century. I give up.

I brought a car lol(with Dizzy of course). Its navy blue with a couple of scratches but for grand and 100 what more could I ask for.

Right enough about us and now to you

Where are you now in the wider sense of the word?

You’re probably feeling slightly homesick but you are still buzzing that you are here.

You still have to pinch yourself that you are here and its not a dream that some is going to wake you up from.

You will look at the beaches (well the nice bits) run the sand through your fingers and know that you are here.

You can stand at the sea edge and wander in amazement of the sea crashing at your feet and how small you are in comparison to the sea. That every pull of the sea pulls at you to join some thing bigger than you.

Watching the sea and you will feel the calmest you have ever been and the best bit is it will only get better. You will hear the roar of the sea in your soul and sometimes you can hear it lulling you to sleep even though you may not be anywhere near it.

By now you will have found the nice places to eat i.e. the grand and the fish market (near Abu Abbas) which is expensive but for a Friday night out its cool.

You will have smelt Khalid bin Walid the longest road in Alexandria. You find the weird and wonderful things that are available. You can get an eyeliner for a pound.

Scarves are more expensive here so wait till you do a visit to Cairo and you are more fluent in the language.

Hows the food?

There is the fish bloke at the end (or the of the begin depends on your point of view)of the road he’s really nice and for 90p(English) you can get like 2 fried fish.
If you across over Khalid Bin Walid and walk toward the sea on the same road you will see the internet café but more interesting is the bread man you get five pieces of bread for 10p.

Grab some lemons of the cart and you have a ready made meal.

Breakfast may be an issue especially if you have morning lesson as most place are just getting ready.

But if you have a nice fridge, get some fruit the day before and you will be fine.

Say salaam to Shireen and tell her I teach one of her ex students Serena

Have you made any mates? Silly question I know you could make friends with the guy sat next to you on the bus. Ha ha ha

Hows Sara ? she getting ready for her wedding and she is the one to ask about the specs but make sure that you have your prescription ready.

Blow a kiss into the air for me in the air to say I miss Egypt.

Love ya

1 comment:

NM said...

AWW shuls your the best! i love these letters!

definately settling in untell shukri came and made me realise how much i missed home and you guys.

Great so thats another wedding i have missed, and she has moved! :(

i definately eat a lot of fish and
vegitbles here am suprised at the sheer number of times i have actually cooked and not burnt anything i think am developing a certain flare for it :)

i love runnin the beach sand through my hands its amazing! i think you described it perfectly its definately the best part of living in alex.

on the friends front, mainly foreign students, because my arabic is limited but am working on that too:)